Wednesday, February 28, 2018



Howard Pressman, CFP®
President’s Message

Hi, I hope your year is off to a good start. As I write this, the Nationals are preparing for their first game of Spring Training, and I can’t help feeling a little excited about Spring’s arrival. On February 16th, we held our Annual Career Day, which was another big success. I can’t thank Kelly McNerney, CFP® and her committee enough for the hard work they put into this event. This year we sold out of interviewing firms, with 30 companies looking to hire. We also had over 50 job seekers from schools such as William Patterson, Edinboro University and of course Virginia Tech. The more I meet and talk with these folks, the more impressed I am with the level of skill this next generation of planners will bring to our profession.

During lunch, keynote speaker Jonathan Guyton spoke to us about the relationship skills essential for great planners. I found it very interesting that one of the brightest minds in our profession, whose quantitative research into safe withdrawal rates has challenged the status-quo, never once mentioned numbers or money. Choosing instead to focus on the “soft” skills that make a great planner was a fantastic lesson for all in attendance, but especially for the younger generation.

Speaking of great planners, our chapter is so fortunate to count many of the most successful and influential people in our profession among our members. I have recently begun talking with some of them about why they are members of the FPA and what they get out of their membership, even at this point in their careers. I will be including some of the insights I’ve learned from these discussions in my next few President’s letters. I can’t think of a better planner to start with than Alexandra Armstrong, the first person in Washington, DC to earn the CFP® designation.

“I joined the FPA 40 years ago to keep current on financial planning issues and to learn from other financial planners both locally and nationally.  My association with FPA helped me to start my business and enabled me to build it to its current level.  I can attribute this success to the friends I have made and the information I have gained over the years through my FPA membership.  It has been invaluable and for that reason I have encouraged my partners and employees to be active in the FPA as well.” 

On March 15th we have our annual Media Training and Luncheon Program. Ben Lewis, Director of Public Relations for the FPA, will be speaking about effectively communicating with the media and how to create and leverage these important relationships. During lunch, Gary Altman, Esq. will be joining us to speak about the new tax law and what we as planners need to know.  These are two topics and speakers you don’t want to miss, as they can have an immediate impact on your practice. This program will be held at the Bethesda Country Club beginning at 9:00 am.

Also, coming up in April we have a Happy Hour on the 12th and a NexGen Study Group on the 24th. It’s never too early to sign up for our 25th Annual Charity Golf Tournament to be held on May 2nd at 1757 Golf Club. This year, our proceeds will benefit the Foundation for Financial Planning as well as our chapter’s various Pro Bono activities. You may register for all of these events on our website at https://fpanca.site-ym.com/events/event_list.asp.

Last, but certainly not least, we’re saying good bye to one of our valued Board Members. Mark Cecchini, CFP® who’s done an amazing job as our Career Fair Chair in 2017 and our NexGen Director in 2017 and 2018 will be moving to sunny California. While we are sad to be losing his talent and passion, we wish him all the best in his new position. I am very fortunate to welcome Emily Purdon, CFP® with SBSB to the Board as one of our NexGen Directors. Emily shares Mark’s passion for our profession and the NexGen community. We are excited for her to be a part of the Board.

Thanks for all you do to make your client’s lives better and to advance our profession!

All the best,
Howard
Howard Pressman, CFP®
2018 FPA NCA President

No comments:

Post a Comment